FIND | KEEP | MAKE - METAL
Metal in the Age of AI
Small Object Space Gallery | 9 September - 26 November 2023 | Opening event: Friday 8 September, 6 pm – 8 pm
Curator: Rebekah Walkarden
Commissioned Artist: Lorissa Toweel
FIND - a found object
KEEP - a work from a collection
MAKE - a newly commissioned work
Lorissa is a Brisbane-based visual artist, raised in Johannesburg, South Africa. Her art practice harnesses various media such as clay, metal, paint, photography, film and technology to create hyper-coloured, otherworldly landscapes and surfaces. These videos and art objects explore ideas around duality, identity and the synthetic nature of modern-life. Recurring motifs include diasporic identity, memory and digital manifestations of the human experience. With a particular focus on material qualities, tactile experiences and digital manipulation, the work interrogates the slippages between daily binaries. Her work disrupts the black and whiteness of absolutist principles and antagonises this behaviour by creating hybrid landscapes that lie between these polarised dimensions, nurturing acceptance of these opposing forces and offering a resolve in hybridity.
Rebekah is a multidisciplinary artist and curator interested in an ever evolving array of artistic and arts adjacent pursuits.
A NEW TAKE ON CRAFT:
METAL - CERAMICS - TEXTILES - TIMBER - GLASS
In partnership with Academic Institutions and our marketing partner organisation,
- A 2-year professional development project providing opportunities and support to emerging curators and practitioners through mentorship.
- Students in the final semesters of their creative practice are mentored to develop skills and gain professional experience in exhibiting objects. Mentees will curate, commission, exhibit and interpret objects in a series of exhibitions in the SMALL OBJECTS SPACE.
Mentees will be mentored through the entire process of conceptualising and an exhibition of crafted objects:
- select a work, in a specified medium, from a private collection
- commission a maker to make an object in the same medium responding to the work from the collection
- find an object in the same material, to complement and contextualise the collected and commissioned works
- design and install a small exhibition of the 3 objects
- research and write a curatorial essay to be published on artisan’s website.
FIND | KEEP | MAKE is a 2-year ongoing project with our major sponsor and marketing partner organisation Wonderkarma.
This exhibition's curator Rebekah Walkarden's essay Metal in the Age of AI delineating her conceptual approach to FIND | KEEP | MAKE is available as a physical copy in our Small Object Space Gallery. Download a PDF copy here.