TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Canberra Glassworks Residency 2024
Open to Queensland-based glass artists
Craft Queensland trading as Artisan are referred to as ‘The Organisers’, applicants are referred to as ’Applicants’, the successful resident craftsperson or designer will be referred to as ‘The Artist’. The organisation hosting the residency will be referred to as ‘The Residency Organisation’ and the residency program referred to as ‘The Residency’. The exhibition hosted by The Organisers will be referred to as ‘The Exhibition’. The body of work created during the residency will be referred to as ‘The Work’.
- Applicants must live in Queensland and be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or artists who have been based in Australia for more than six months prior to applying
- Applicants should be considered an established craft or design based artist or practitioner. An established artist or practitioner must be a practicing professional for more than 5 years and be recognised within the art community for the quality of their work.
- Applicants MUST have previous experience with the equipment (kiln, neon/flame and/or casting facilities) and should be trained and able to use the equipment within the facilities safely.
You are not eligible to apply if:
- You have no experience with glass
- Submissions should be received by 11.59pm on 20 February 2024
- Submissions are to be uploaded via the online submission form on artisan.org.au
- By submitting your works through our online process, you enter into an agreement with The Organisers and you agree to comply with these Terms and Conditions.
- Applicants will be notified of residency outcome via email on 1 March 2024.
- Images are to be titled ARTIST NAME_artwork title_height cm X width cm X depth cm_year_photo credit
- Image file type to be JPEG. File size max 5mb.
- Applicants must include the following on the submission form:
- One page exhibition proposal for a body of work that will be produced during the residency and exhibited at Artisan. Include expected residency outcomes such as approximate number and size of works. Describe your level of proficiencies with glass work, how you will be working with glass (kiln, casting, neon/flame) and include contact details for two referees who can confirm this your experience.
- Short description of equipment needs including a list of materials you require
- Images that best represent your practice in relation to the residency
- The Organisers will appoint a panel (Selection Panel) consisting of suitably qualified people.
- The Selection Panel will select the successful Artist using the submission forms and proposals submitted by The Applicants.
- The Selection Panel’s decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
EXHIBITION and RESIDENCY
- The full residency and exhibition package totals approximately $35,000. Inclusions covered by The Organisation:
- Residency airfares (single return flight is supplied to the Artist for The Residency)
- Residency accommodation
- A space in the CGW facility in area of choice as outlined in proposal
- Selected studio equipment requested in proposal
- Exhibition events
- Exhibition and residency advertising and marketing
- Material costs (up to $3,000)
- Artist fee
- The successful Artist will receive an Artist Fee of $5,000. This is to cover but is not limited to:
- Personal expenses during The Residency
- Personal hand tools
- Extra tuition if required (mentorship is not included in the residency but is available)
- Additional travel expenses
- Any other expenses incurred during residencies
- The Residency will take place at Canberra Glassworks.
- The organisation have the right to allocate an alternate location.
- The Artist is expected to engage with other artists in the centre and the public during The Residency.
- General access during The Residency is 8:00am-5:30pm seven days per week. Late-night access is available Monday and Thursday until 8:30pm.
- The Artist will act within the Canberra Glasswork Code of Conduct.
- The Artist is required to present a workshop, Masterclass or artist talk or information session at artisan during the Exhibition.
- The Artist may be required to take part in an In Conversation alongside a panel of guests during the Exhibition and may be required to take part in a similar presentation during The Residency.
- The Artist must have Public Liability Insurance up to $20,000,000
- The Organisers have the right to refuse to exhibit any Work or any part of it. Submitted works may be deemed unsuitable for handling or display by the Organisers or The Residency Organisation staff including but not limited to:
- Works made from highly perishable or dangerous materials
- Works deemed by The Organisation’s staff to be of a derogatory or offensive nature
- Although copyright for the work and images remains with The Artist, you hereby authorise the Organisers to use your submitted photographs, to photograph artworks during the residency and exhibition and/or publish your work for the purposes of reproducing online or otherwise promoting the residency and exhibition by any means.
- The Organisers may reproduce and communicate the Work for inclusion in catalogues, books and similar publications (including any electronic versions), posters, leaflets and similar advertising material (including any electronic versions), and on its website or similar media.
- The Organisers will not reproduce the Work for the purpose of offering copies by way of commercial sale.
- The Organisers may cause or allow the Work to be included in a film or video recording, and may allow the Work to be included in a television broadcast, for the following purposes:
- publicity relating to any exhibition conducted by or in association with The Organisers;
- or a documentary or similar film or broadcasting relating to the Artist or their work, or The Organisers or its activities.
- The Organisers may reproduce the Work in any form, and may make films or video recordings of the Work for the purposes of the Gallery’s internal documentation of its collections, including its archives, and other reasonable administrative purposes of the Organisers, including applications for funding.
- The Organisers will act in accordance with the Artist’s moral rights in the Work, protected under Part IX of the Copyright Act 1968 (Commonwealth).
- The Artist shall permit their exhibit to remain on display for the duration of the exhibition.
- Works may be available for sale or commission during the Exhibition and subject to 45% gallery commission (inclusive of GST).
DELIVERY, DISPLAY AND COLLECTION
- All artworks created during the residency and selected for inclusion in the Exhibition must be available to be delivered in person, by courier or by mail to: Artisan, 45 King St, Bowen Hills by close of business, 28 October 2024.
- Whilst the Organisers will exercise all reasonable care with exhibits in its custody, any damage to or loss of any Work caused during transit, or on display or in storage shall be the sole responsibility of the Artist. The Artist is advised to insure their exhibits against any such damages or loss.
- The Organisation will cover the freight for artwork to be delivered from the Residency to The Exhibition up to the cost of $2,500, any costs in excess are the responsibility of The Artist.
- The Organisation will cover the freight to return The Works to the Artist in the week after the close of The Exhibition. The maximum freight cost covered by The Organisation is $1,000, any costs exceeding are the responsibility of The Artist. No storage facilities are available after these times.
- Artists are to arrange collection of the works from The Exhibition during business hours, the week after the close of the exhibition at the expense of The Artist. No storage facilities are available after these times.
- Unsold and unreturned work will be disposed of by the organisers if not collected within 30 days of the close of the Exhibition.
- We may make reasonable changes to the manner in which we conduct The Residency and Exhibition. We may also postpone or cancel The Residency and/or The Exhibition if circumstances outside our control materially prevent us from conducting.
Continue to submission form