FIND | KEEP | MAKE # 2
Find | Keep | Make #2 - SLIP
7th December 2023 - 10th February 2024
Opening Event: 7 December 6pm - 8pm
Curator: Melissa Stannard
Artist: Sarah Zalewski
First Nation Curator, Melissa Stannard (Yuwaalaray Gamilaraay, Kooma, Celtic) and emerging First Nations artist Sarah Zalewski (Migunberri) respond to selected items from the WONDERKARMA International First Nations Collection.
Sensitively and intuitively, this exhibition demonstrates how the chosen pieces inspire a deep reflection on place, matter and meaning, while throwing light and drawing a connection to the original craftspeople, whose names and identities have been lost over time.
A NEW TAKE ON CRAFT:
METAL - CERAMICS - TEXTILES - TIMBER - GLASS
In partnership our marketing partner organisation WONDERKARMA
- A 2-year professional development project providing opportunities and support to emerging curators and practitioners through mentorship.
- Students in the final semesters of their creative practice are mentored to develop skills and gain professional experience in exhibiting objects. Mentees will curate, commission, exhibit and interpret objects in a series of exhibitions in the SMALL OBJECTS SPACE.
Mentees will be mentored through the entire process of conceptualising and an exhibition of crafted objects:
- select a work, in a specified medium, from a private collection
- commission a maker to make an object in the same medium responding to the work from the collection
- find an object in the same material, to complement and contextualise the collected and commissioned works
- design and install a small exhibition of the 3 objects
- research and write a curatorial essay to be published on artisan’s website.
FIND | KEEP | MAKE is a 2-year ongoing project with our major sponsor and marketing partner organisation Wonderkarma.